The Southern Miss Golden Eagles will battle the Rice Owls in the Lendingtree Bowl.
Southern Miss vs. Rice Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 6.5 points, with oddsmakers listing Southern Miss as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, Southern Miss has -249 odds to pick up the win, while Rice is listed at +193 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 45.5 points.
How to Watch Southern Miss vs. Rice Live?
- Game Day: Saturday, December 17, 2022
- Game Time: 5:45 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Location: Mobile, Alabama
- Stadium: Hancock Whitney Stadium
Southern Miss has been a bottom-25 offense this year, ranking 25th-worst with 331.8 yards per game. The defensive side of the ball is ranked 57th in the FBS (367.7 yards allowed per game). Southern Miss ranks 94th in scoring offense (24.3 points per game) and 43rd in scoring defense (23.5 points allowed per game) this season. Southern Miss is averaging 209.1 passing yards per game on offense this year (93rd in the FBS), and is allowing 225.4 passing yards per game (72nd) on the other side of the ball. Southern Miss ranks 103rd in run offense (122.7 rushing yards per game) and 50th in run defense (142.3 rushing yards allowed per game) this season. Southern Miss ranks 24th-worst in third-down conversion rate (34.3%), but has played better on defense, ranking 52nd with a 36.8% third-down percentage allowed. Southern Miss has forced 19 total turnovers (29th in the FBS) this season and have turned it over 23 times (121st in the FBS) for -4a turnover margin of -4, 100th-ranked in college football.
From an offensive perspective, Rice is generating 370.0 total yards per game (79th-ranked). It ranks 69th in the FBS defensively (377.1 total yards given up per game). Rice ranks 85th in points per game (25.3), but it has been less productive on the other side of the ball, ranking 13th-worst in the FBS with 33.8 points allowed per contest. With 227.1 passing yards per game on offense, Rice ranks 70th in the FBS. On defense, it ranks 45th, allowing 210.3 passing yards per contest. In terms of rushing, Rice ranks 75th in the FBS on offense (142.9 rushing yards per game) and 91st on defense (166.8 rushing yards allowed per game). In terms of third-down efficiency, Rice ranks 39th in the FBS (42.4% third-down conversion rate) and 94th on defense (41.6% third-down rate allowed). After forcing 15 turnovers (71st in the FBS) and turning the ball over 30 times (131st in the FBS) this season, Rice sports the 100th-ranked turnover margin of -15.
Southern Miss vs. Rice Betting Analysis
Southern Miss Betting Insights
Southern Miss has compiled a 9-3-0 record against the spread this season. Southern Miss is a perfect 1-0 ATS when playing as at least 6.5-point favorites. Games involving Southern Miss have hit the over seven times this season. The Golden Eagles have gone 3-1 in games they were listed as the moneyline favorite (winning 75% of those games). The Golden Eagles have yet to play as a moneyline favorite of -249 or shorter.
Owls Betting Insights
Rice have put together a 7-5-0 record against the spread this year. In games as an underdog by 6.5 points or more so far this season, the Owls are 4-3 against the spread. Rice’s games have finished with a final combined score above the over/under eight times this season. This season, the Owls have been the underdog eight times and won two of those games. This season, the Owls have won two of their seven games when they’re the underdog by at least +193 on the moneyline.
Southern Miss vs. Rice Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||48.0||48.4||47.7|
|Implied Total AVG||28.7||28.7||28.7|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-1||1-1||2-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||2-5||1-2||1-3|
|Point Total AVG||55.4||53.5||57.3|
|Implied Total AVG||33.9||32.0||35.8|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-1||2-1||1-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||2-6||2-1||0-5|
Players to Watch
- Malik Shorts has helped spur the Golden Eagles’ defense with 99 tackles, one TFL, and three interceptions in 11 games.
- The Golden Eagles’ defensive unit has been helped by Santrell Latham, who has played 11 games and posted three sacks to go with seven TFL and 80 tackles.
- Daylen Gill has played 11 games, posting 76 tackles, five TFL, and one sack for the Golden Eagles.
- Jay Stanley, as part of the Golden Eagles’ defensive unit, has registered one sack to go with three TFL, 55 tackles, and four interceptions in 12 games.
- Myron Morrison has been providing a big boost on defense, collecting two interceptions to go with 64 tackles, five TFL, one sack, and two passes defended for the Owls.
- On defense, Gabe Taylor has helped lead the charge with 52 tackles, one TFL, and two interceptions in 11 games.
- Chris Conti has been causing chaos on defense, collecting one sack to go with four TFL and 66 tackles for the Owls.
- With one interception to go with 51 tackles and two TFL in 11 games, Treshawn Chamberlain has been doing his part on defense for the Owls.
Southern Miss vs. Rice Predictions and Pick
Southern Miss vs. Rice betting card
- Pick ATS:
Golden Eagles (-6.5)
How to Bet on Southern Miss vs. Rice
You can bet on Southern Miss vs. Rice at every legal online sportsbook. For more college football odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as college football prop odds, check out the latest college football lines as well as our guide to the best college football betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Southern Miss vs. Rice picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Our prediction to win this contest is Southern Miss, and we project that Southern Miss will cover the spread (Southern Miss -6.5). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 45.5 points.