The streaking Los Angeles Chargers (9-6) carry a three-game winning streak into a home meeting against the Los Angeles Rams (5-10) on Sunday, January 1, 2023 at SoFi Stadium.
Chargers vs. Rams Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 6.5 points, with oddsmakers listing the Chargers as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Chargers have -260 odds to pick up the win, while the Rams are listed at +220 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 42 points.
How to Watch Chargers vs. Rams Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Game Time: 4:25 PM ET
- TV Channel: CBS
- Location: Inglewood, California
- Stadium: SoFi Stadium
The Chargers rank 11th in total offense (355.0 yards per game) and 19th in total defense (342.4 yards allowed per game) this season. The Chargers are putting up 22.1 points per game on offense, which ranks them 13th in the NFL. Defensively, they rank 21st, surrendering 22.9 points per contest.
The Chargers own the ninth-ranked defense this year in terms of passing yards (201.9 allowed per game), and they’ve been more effective offensively, ranking third-best with 270.1 passing yards per game. While the Chargers’ run defense ranks 26th with 140.5 rushing yards allowed per game, they’ve been worse on offense, ranking second-worst (84.9 rushing yards per game).
The Chargers are averaging a 42.2% third-down percentage on offense this season (ninth in NFL), and they are giving up a 39.2% third-down percentage (18th) on the defensive side of the ball. This season, the Chargers are gaining 5.2 yards per play (21st in the league), while surrendering 5.8 per play on the defensive side of the ball (26th in the NFL). With 21 forced turnovers (10th in NFL) against 17 turnovers committed (sixth in NFL), the Chargers’ +4 turnover margin ranks eighth in the league.
The Rams have not been getting things done on offense, ranking second-worst with 281.5 total yards per game. They have been more effective on the other side of the ball, allowing 331.0 total yards per contest (12th-ranked). In terms of points scored the Rams rank 26th in the NFL (18.7 points per game), and they are 17th defensively (22.3 points allowed per game).
In terms of passing, the Rams rank 25th in the NFL (191.6 passing yards per game) and 22nd on the other side of the ball (226.5 passing yards allowed per game). While the Rams’ run offense has had trouble moving the chains, ranking fourth-worst with 89.9 rushing yards per game, their defense ranks fifth-best with just 104.5 rushing yards surrendered per contest.
In terms of third-down efficiency, the Rams rank 16th in the NFL (40.3% third-down conversion rate) and 23rd defensively (40.8% third-down rate allowed). The Rams’ offense has been sputtering in terms of yards per play, ranking second-worst in the NFL at 4.7. They have been more effective on the defensive side of the ball, allowing 5.4 yards per play (14th-ranked). With 20 forced turnovers (13th in NFL) and 21 turnovers committed (22nd in NFL) this season, the Rams rank 17th in the NFL with a turnover margin of -1.
Chargers vs. Rams Injury Report
Chargers vs. Rams Betting Analysis
Chargers Betting Insights
The Chargers are 9-6-0 against the spread this season. The Chargers have not covered a spread when they are at least 6.5-point favorites (0-1).
Chargers games have gone over the total five times this season. The Chargers put together a 5-6 record in games they were listed as the moneyline favorite last season (winning 45.5% of those games).
The Chargers had a 3-1 record last year (winning 75% of their games) when playing as a moneyline favorite of -260 or shorter.
Rams Betting Insights
The Rams are 5-8-2 against the spread this season. In games they have played as 6.5-point underdogs or more, the Rams have an ATS record of 2-1-1.
Games involving Rams have hit the over six times this year. The Rams have entered the game as underdogs nine times this season and won twice.
The Rams have a record of 1-3 in games where oddsmakers have them as underdogs of at least +220 on the moneyline.
Chargers vs. Rams Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||48.7||49.7||47.9|
|Implied Total AVG||26.5||27.1||26.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||8-2||3-2||5-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-4||1-1||0-3|
|Point Total AVG||42.2||42.1||42.3|
|Implied Total AVG||23.9||23.8||24.2|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-3||2-3||1-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||2-7||2-2||0-5|
Players to Watch
- Justin Herbert ranks third in the NFL with 4,254 passing yards in 15 games this year, averaging 283.6 per game with a 68.0% completion percentage and 21 touchdowns against 10 interceptions.
- Austin Ekeler averages 4.1 yards per carry (31st in the NFL) and 50.6 yards per game, and has 759 total rushing yards. He has recorded 11 rushing TDs this season.
- He’s hauled in 99 passes (on 120 targets) for 647 receiving yards with five touchdowns. He’s averaging 43.1 receiving yards and 6.6 catches per game.
- In the passing game, Mike Williams, has totaled 769 receiving yards and four touchdowns after hauling in 52 balls on 78 targets. Per game, he’s averaging 69.9 yards and 4.7 receptions over 11 games.
- Josh Palmer has 68 receptions for 730 yards and three touchdowns. He’s been targeted 100 times in the passing game, and averages 4.9 receptions and 52.1 yards in 14 games played.
- On defense, Drue Tranquill has 127 tackles, 6.0 TFL, 5.5 sacks, and one interception in 2022.
- Khalil Mack has 47 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 7.5 sacks, and two passes defended.
- This season, Kenneth Murray has recorded 1.0 sack to go with his 7.0 TFL, 70 tackles, and one interception.
- Michael Davis has one interception with 57 tackles, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, and 13 passes defended.
- Baker Mayfield is averaging 6.5 passing yards per attempt (28th in the NFL) and 188.4 yards per game this year, completing 61.0% of his passes on the way to 1,884 total yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions through 10 games.
- He’s added 65 yards on the ground (fourth on the Rams), with one rushing touchdown. He’s averaging 6.5 yards per game and 2.8 per attempt.
- Cam Akers has 559 rushing yards (leading the Rams) and seven rushing touchdowns, while averaging 43.0 yards per game and 3.8 per attempt (40th in the NFL).
- Van Jefferson has totaled 231 receiving yards and three touchdowns on 18 receptions, while being targeted 35 times this season.
- Tutu Atwell has 14 catches for 261 yards and one receiving touchdown. He averages 1.3 yards per game in 11 games and has been targeted 27 times.
- Bobby Wagner has intercepted two passes to go with 126 tackles, 8.0 TFL, 6.0 sacks, and five passes defended in 2022.
- Jalen Ramsey has totaled 2.0 sacks in addition to his 3.0 TFL, 76 tackles, and two interceptions through 15 games.
- Ernest Jones has intercepted one pass on top of 100 tackles, 3.0 TFL, and two passes defended during the 2022 campaign.
- Nick Scott has intercepted two passes to go with 77 tackles, 1.0 TFL, and five passes defended.
Chargers vs. Rams Predictions and Pick
Our prediction to win this game is the Chargers, and we predict that Rams will cover the spread (Chargers -6.5). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 42 points.
How to Bet on Chargers vs. Rams
You can bet on Chargers vs. Rams at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Chargers vs. Rams picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.