The Detroit Lions (7-7), who have won three consecutive games, enter into a tilt against the Carolina Panthers (5-9) on Saturday, December 24, 2022 at Bank of America Stadium.
Lions vs. Panthers Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 3 points, with sportsbooks listing the Lions as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Lions have -145 odds to pick up the win, while the Panthers are listed at +125 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 43.5 points.
How to Watch Lions vs. Panthers Live?
- Game Day: Saturday, December 24, 2022
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
- Stadium: Bank of America Stadium
The Lions have struggled on defense, ranking second-worst in the NFL (398.5 yards allowed per game) this season. However, they rank fourth-best on offense, averaging 375.1 yards per game. While the Lions rank second-worst in the NFL in scoring defense with 26.0 points allowed per game, it’s been a different story offensively, as they rank fifth-best in the NFL (26.4 points per game).
Despite having a bottom-five pass defense that ranks third-worst in the NFL (265.1 passing yards allowed per game), the Lions have played better on the other side of the ball, ranking eighth in the NFL by totaling 249.1 passing yards per game. On offense, the Lions rank 14th in the NFL with 126.1 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 26th in rushing yards allowed per contest (133.4).
In addition to a 48.2% third-down conversion rate allowed on defense, which ranks second-worst in the NFL, the Lions have posted the 10th-ranked third-down percentage (42.3%) on offense. The Lions own the sixth-ranked offense in terms of yards per play this year (5.8), and they’ve been worse on defense, ranking worst with 6.2 yards per play allowed. The Lions have forced 18 total turnovers (13th in NFL) this season and have turned it over 14 times (third in NFL) for a turnover margin of +4, sixth-ranked in the league.
The Panthers’ offense has been bottom-five in total offense this season, generating 288.1 total yards per game, which ranks third-worst in the NFL. On the defensive side of the ball, they rank 17th with 342.1 total yards surrendered per contest. The Panthers rank 24th in the NFL with 19.7 points per game on offense, and they rank 15th with 22.4 points surrendered per contest on defense.
The Panthers rank third-worst in passing yards per game (170.6), but they’ve been more effective on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 13th in the NFL with 211.4 passing yards surrendered per contest. With 117.5 rushing yards per game on offense, the Panthers rank 17th in the NFL. Defensively they rank 22nd, surrendering 130.7 rushing yards per game.
The Panthers’ offense has been sputtering on third down, ranking third-worst in the NFL with a 29.2% third-down conversion rate. They have been more productive on the defensive side of the ball, surrendering a 43.5% third-down rate (26th-ranked). With 5.1 yards per play on offense, the Panthers rank 23rd in the NFL. On defense they rank 12th, surrendering 5.3 yards per play. The Panthers have recorded 14 forced turnovers (28th in NFL) and committed 16 turnovers (ninth in NFL) this season for a -2 turnover margin that ranks 19th in the NFL.
Lions vs. Panthers Injury Report
Lions vs. Panthers Betting Analysis
Lions Betting Insights
The Lions are 10-3-1 against the spread this season. The Lions have yet to cover the spread (0-1) when playing as at least 3-point favorites.
Lions games have gone over the total nine times this season. The Lions never were listed as the moneyline favorite in a game last season.
The Lions did not play a game last season with moneyline odds of -145 or shorter.
Panthers Betting Insights
The Panthers have covered the spread seven times in 14 games with a set spread. In games they have played as 3-point underdogs or more, the Panthers have an ATS record of 4-3.
This year, Panthers games have hit the over six times. This season, the Panthers have been the underdog 10 times and won five of those games.
The Panthers have a record of 2-5 in games where oddsmakers have them as underdogs of at least +125 on the moneyline.
Lions vs. Panthers Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||49.3||50.6||47.5|
|Implied Total AVG||26.6||27.3||25.8|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||2-1||2-1||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||5-6||2-3||3-3|
|Point Total AVG||41.1||40.1||42.3|
|Implied Total AVG||22.9||21.8||24.5|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||0-4||0-3||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||5-5||4-1||1-4|
Players to Watch
- Jared Goff has thrown for 3,604 yards (eighth in the NFL), 23 touchdowns (eighth in the NFL) and seven interceptions this year. He averages 257.4 yards per game and 7.5 per attempt, while completing 64.9% of his passes.
- Jamaal Williams has put up 839 rushing yards with 14 touchdowns (59.9 yards per game through 14 games). His 3.9 yards per attempt rank 37th in the NFL.
- In the passing game, Amon-Ra St. Brown, has totaled 974 receiving yards (10th in the NFL) and six touchdowns after hauling in 89 balls (sixth in the NFL) on 119 targets. Per game, he’s averaging 74.9 yards and 6.8 receptions in 13 games.
- D’Andre Swift has rushed for 427 yards with four touchdowns (38.8 yards per game across 11 games).
- Swift has been targeted 54 times to the tune of 36 receptions, 276 yards and two TDs.
- On the defensive side for the Lions, Alex Anzalone has racked up 103 tackles, 4.0 TFL, 1.5 sacks, and one interception in 2022.
- Jeff Okudah has 2.0 TFL, 66 tackles, and one interception.
- Aidan Hutchinson has totaled 40 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 7.0 sacks, and two interceptions this year.
- Malcolm Rodriguez has 1.0 sack to go along with his 5.0 TFL and 70 tackles on the year.
- D.J. Moore has totaled 678 receiving yards and five touchdowns on 51 receptions, while being targeted 97 times this season.
- D’Onta Foreman averages 46.1 rushing yards per game over 14 games (646 total yards), while scoring four rushing touchdowns.
- Chuba Hubbard is averaging 21.7 rushing yards per game this season (260 total yards), while scoring two rushing touchdowns.
- Terrace Marshall Jr. has 22 catches for 397 yards and one receiving touchdown. He averages 2.0 yards per game through 11 games and has been targeted 38 times.
- Frankie Luvu has intercepted one pass to go with 86 tackles, 13.0 TFL, 6.0 sacks, and three passes defended in 2022.
- Brian Burns’ stats include 58 tackles, 14.0 TFL, 10.5 sacks, and two passes defended.
- Shaq Thompson has 0.5 sacks in addition to his 8.0 TFL and 110 tackles.
- Derrick Brown has registered 1.0 sack to go with 5.0 TFL, 56 tackles, and one interception through 14 games.
Lions vs. Panthers Predictions and Pick
Our pick to win this contest is the Lions, and we project that Lions will cover the spread (Lions -3). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 43.5 points.
How to Bet on Lions vs. Panthers
You can bet on Lions vs. Panthers at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Lions vs. Panthers picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.