When the Los Angeles Chargers (10-6) visit the Denver Broncos (4-12) on Sunday, January 8, 2023 at Empower Field at Mile High, they will attempt to continue a four-game winning streak.
Broncos vs. Chargers Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 3 points, with sportsbooks listing the Broncos as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Broncos have -155 odds to pick up the win, while the Chargers are listed at +135 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 39.5 points.
How to Watch Broncos vs. Chargers Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Game Time: 4:25 PM ET
- TV Channel: CBS
- Location: Denver, Colorado
- Stadium: Empower Field at Mile High
The Broncos rank 24th in total offense (316.0 yards per game) and sixth in total defense (318.0 yards allowed per game) this year. While the Broncos’ defense ranks 10th with 20.7 points allowed per game, they’ve been a little worse on offense, ranking worst (16.0 points per game).
Offensively, the Broncos rank 19th in the NFL with 207.9 passing yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 11th in passing yards allowed per contest (205.1). From an offensive standpoint, the Broncos rank 22nd in the NFL with 108.1 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 12th in rushing yards allowed per contest (112.9).
The Broncos have struggled on third down, ranking worst in the NFL (28.4%) this season. However, they rank second-best on defense, allowing a 33.0% third-down conversion rate. The Broncos have the third-best defense in the NFL in terms of yards per play allowed (5.0), while their offense is ranked 26th, gaining 5.0 per play. The Broncos own the 17th-ranked turnover margin in the NFL at -1, forcing 21 turnovers (13th in NFL) while turning it over 22 times (23rd in NFL).
The Chargers rank 10th with 359.8 total yards per contest on offense, and they rank 19th with 338.3 total yards given up per contest on defense. The Chargers are putting up 22.7 points per contest on offense this season (13th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are giving up 22.1 points per contest (18th-ranked) on defense.
The Chargers’ pass offense has been paving the way for the team, as they rank fifth-best in the NFL with 268.2 passing yards per game. In terms of defense, they are ceding 196.2 passing yards per game, which ranks sixth. The Chargers’ rushing offense has been bottom-five this season, generating 91.6 rushing yards per game, which ranks third-worst in the NFL. On the defensive side of the ball, they rank 27th with 142.1 rushing yards conceded per contest.
With a 43.2% third-down conversion percentage on offense, the Chargers rank eighth in the NFL. On defense, they rank 16th, allowing a 39.0% third-down rate. With 5.3 yards per play on offense, the Chargers rank 17th in the NFL. Defensively they rank 27th, surrendering 5.8 yards per play. The Chargers have recorded 22 forced turnovers (12th in NFL) and committed 17 turnovers (third in NFL) this season for a +5 turnover margin that ranks sixth in the NFL.
Broncos vs. Chargers Injury Report
Broncos vs. Chargers Betting Analysis
Broncos Betting Insights
The Broncos have registered a 7-9-0 record against the spread this season. The Broncos are winless against the spread when they have played as 3-point favorites or more (0-4).
This season, five Broncos games have gone over the point total. The Broncos were the moneyline favorite 10 total times last season. They finished 5-5 in those games.
In games they played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -155 or shorter, the Broncos had a record of 4-1 (80%).
Chargers Betting Insights
The Chargers have put together a record of 10-6-0 against the spread this season. The Chargers are a perfect 4-0 ATS when playing as at least 3-point underdogs.
This season, five Chargers games have gone over the point total. The Chargers have entered the game as underdogs five times this season and won once.
This season, the Chargers have won one of their four games when they’re the underdog by at least +135 on the moneyline.
Broncos vs. Chargers Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||41.6||41.6||41.6|
|Implied Total AVG||23.1||23.3||23.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-5||2-2||1-3|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-7||1-2||0-5|
|Point Total AVG||48.3||48.7||47.9|
|Implied Total AVG||26.4||26.8||26.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||9-2||4-2||5-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-4||1-1||0-3|
Players to Watch
- Russell Wilson has 3,241 passing yards, 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this year. He has completed 60.8% of his passes, averaging 231.5 yards per game and 7.1 per attempt.
- In addition to his passing statistics, Wilson also has 259 rushing yards (second on the Broncos), with three rushing touchdowns.
- Jerry Jeudy has caught 62 passes on 94 targets for 818 total yards and six touchdowns. He is averaging 4.4 catches and 58.4 yards per game through 14 games.
- Through 12 games, Latavius Murray has picked up 657 rushing yards, averaging 54.8 yards per game and scoring five touchdowns.
- Courtland Sutton has put up 796 receiving yards and one touchdown with 61 catches on 102 targets. He is averaging 4.4 receptions and 56.9 yards per game.
- On the defensive side for the Broncos, Josey Jewell has powered the unit with 121 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 2.5 sacks, and two interceptions in 2022.
- Alex Singleton has 142 tackles and 5.0 TFL this season. His tackle total leads the Broncos and is 10th in the NFL.
- Kareem Jackson has collected 89 tackles and 2.0 TFL this year.
- So far this season, Justin Simmons has 58 tackles, 2.0 TFL, and six interceptions. He’s fifth on the Broncos in tackles.
- Austin Ekeler has rushed for 13 touchdowns this year, and has 881 total rushing yards (55.1 per game and 4.6 per carry).
- Ekeler has also figured into the passing game with 686 yards (42.9 per game) on 103 receptions (6.4 per game), while being targeted 124 times. He has five receiving touchdowns.
- Justin Herbert has 4,466 passing yards (which ranks third in the NFL), 23 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. His completion percentage is 68.3% and he averages 279.1 yards per game and 6.7 per attempt.
- This season, Mike Williams has caught 59 passes for 863 receiving yards with four touchdowns through the air. He has been targeted 88 total times and is averaging 4.9 receptions per game over 12 games played.
- Josh Palmer has been targeted 101 times, resulting in 68 catches for 730 yards .
- Drue Tranquill has recorded 5.5 sacks (third on the Chargers) to go with 8.0 TFL, 136 tackles, and one interception over 16 games in 2022.
- Derwin James has 108 tackles, 5.0 TFL, 4.0 sacks, and two interceptions. He is second on the Chargers in tackles.
- Kenneth Murray has 1.0 sack in addition to his 7.0 TFL, 73 tackles, and one interception.
- Khalil Mack has totaled 7.5 sacks (first on the Chargers) as well as 7.0 TFL and 48 tackles.
Broncos vs. Chargers Predictions and Pick
Our prediction to win this game is the Chargers, and we expect that Chargers will cover the spread (Broncos -3). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 39.5 points.
How to Bet on Broncos vs. Chargers
You can bet on Broncos vs. Chargers at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Broncos vs. Chargers picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.