When the Chicago Bears (3-13) host the Minnesota Vikings (12-4) on Sunday, January 8, 2023 at Soldier Field, they will aim to end a nine-game losing streak.
Vikings vs. Bears Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 7 points, with sportsbooks listing the Vikings as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Vikings have -275 odds to pick up the win, while the Bears are listed at +230 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 43 points.
How to Watch Vikings vs. Bears Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Stadium: Soldier Field
The Vikings have the 13th-ranked offense this season (353.9 yards per game), and they’ve been worse on the other side of the ball, ranking second-worst with 396.8 yards allowed per game. The Vikings sport the eighth-ranked scoring offense this year (24.7 points per game), and they’ve been worse on defense, ranking second-worst with 25.9 points allowed per game.
With 273.4 passing yards allowed per game on defense, which ranks second-worst in the NFL, the Vikings have had to rely on their seventh-ranked passing offense (258.9 passing yards per contest) to keep them competitive. While the Vikings’ run defense ranks 20th with 123.4 rushing yards allowed per game, they’ve been worse on offense, ranking fifth-worst (95.0 rushing yards per game).
The Vikings are putting up a 40.5% third-down conversion rate on offense this season (15th in NFL), and they are allowing a 38.8% third-down conversion rate (14th) on defense. In addition to 5.9 yards per play allowed on defense, which ranks third-worst in the NFL, the Vikings have posted the 15th-ranked yards-per-play average on offense (5.4). The Vikings rank 13th in the league with a +2 turnover margin after forcing 23 turnovers (11th in the NFL) and committing 21 (15th in the NFL).
The Bears have struggled on both offense and defense this season, ranking fifth-worst in total offense (310.9 total yards per game) and fifth-worst in total defense (369.3 total yards allowed per game). The Bears rank 23rd in points per game (19.6), but they’ve been less effective on the defensive side of the ball, ranking worst in the NFL with 27.1 points surrendered per contest.
The Bears rank worst in passing yards per game (129.9), but they’ve been more productive on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 13th in the NFL with 210.9 passing yards ceded per contest. The Bears rank second-worst in rushing yards allowed per game on defense (158.3), but at least they’ve been playing well on offense, ranking best in rushing yards per contest (181.1).
The Bears’ defense has been a bottom-five unit on third down this season, ceding a 48.7% third-down conversion percentage, which ranks worst in the NFL. On the offensive side of the ball, they rank 11th with a 48.7% third-down rate. The Bears’ defense has been struggling in terms of yards given up per play, ranking second-worst at 6.1. They have been better offensively, posting 5.3 yards per play (17th-ranked). At -2, the Bears sport the 20th-ranked turnover margin in the NFL, with 21 forced turnovers (13th in NFL) and 23 turnovers committed (26th in NFL).
Vikings vs. Bears Injury Report
|Za’Darius Smith||OLB||Non injury related (personal)||Questionable|
Vikings vs. Bears Betting Analysis
Vikings Betting Insights
The Vikings have covered the spread six times this season (6-10-0). The Vikings have yet to cover a spread (0-1) when they are at least 7-point favorites.
Vikings games have gone over the total 11 times this season. The Vikings won five of the eight games they were listed as the moneyline favorite last season (62.5%).
In games they played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -275 or shorter, the Vikings went 2-1 (66.7%).
Bears Betting Insights
The Bears have put together a record of 5-11-0 against the spread this season. In games they have played as 7-point underdogs or more, the Bears have an ATS record of 3-4.
Bears games have finished with a final combined score above the over/under 10 times this season. The Bears have won two, or 14.3%, of the 14 games they’ve played as underdogs this season.
The Bears have entered seven games this season as the underdog by +230 or more and are 1-6 in those contests.
Vikings vs. Bears Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||46.5||46.6||46.4|
|Implied Total AVG||25.1||25.2||25.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||11-0||8-0||3-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-4||0-1||1-3|
|Point Total AVG||43.1||43.1||43.1|
|Implied Total AVG||24.3||23.9||24.8|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||1-1||1-1||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||2-12||1-5||1-7|
Players to Watch
- Kirk Cousins has passed for 4,322 yards (fourth in the NFL), 28 touchdowns (sixth in the NFL) and 14 interceptions this year. He is averaging 270.1 yards per game and 6.9 per attempt, while completing 65.3% of his attempts.
- He has also rushed for 97 yards (third on the Vikings) and added two touchdowns on the ground, while averaging 6.1 rushing yards per game.
- Justin Jefferson‘s 1,771 receiving yards this season (first in the NFL) have come from 179 targets and 124 receptions (first in the NFL). He’s averaging 110.7 receiving yards and 7.8 catches per game, with eight receiving touchdowns (seventh in the NFL).
- Dalvin Cook has 1,136 rushing yards (seventh in the NFL) with eight touchdowns (71.0 yards per game across 16 games).
- Cook has 38 catches on 55 targets for 295 yards, with two receiving TDs.
- T.J. Hockenson has put up 898 receiving yards and six touchdowns with 85 catches on 128 targets. He is averaging 5.3 receptions and 56.1 yards per game.
- On the defensive side for the Vikings, Eric Kendricks has powered the unit with 136 tackles, 8.0 TFL, and 1.0 sack in 2022.
- Jordan Hicks has 127 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 3.0 sacks, and one interception so far this season.
- Danielle Hunter has totaled 63 tackles, 12.0 TFL, 11.5 sacks, and three passes defended.
- Patrick Peterson has four interceptions (ninth in the NFL) while tacking on 63 tackles, 3.0 TFL, and 14 passes defended.
- So far this year in 15 games, David Montgomery has racked up 780 rushing yards (second on the Bears) and scored five rushing touchdowns. He averages 52.0 yards per game and 4.0 per carry (33rd in the NFL).
- Montgomery’s contributions include 34 receptions (2.3 per game) on 40 targets for 316 yards (21.1 per game) and one receiving touchdown.
- Khalil Herbert has 682 rushing yards (third on the Bears) and four rushing touchdowns, while averaging 56.8 yards per game and 5.7 per carry (fifth in the NFL).
- Herbert also has eight catches for 58 yards (10th on the Bears), with one receiving touchdown. He has been targeted 10 times and averages 4.8 yards per game.
- So far this season, Cole Kmet has caught 46 passes for 487 receiving yards with six touchdowns through the air. He has been targeted 64 total times and is averaging 2.9 receptions per game in 16 games played.
- Chase Claypool has been targeted 73 times, resulting in 44 catches for 422 yards .
- So far in 2022, Nicholas Morrow has put up 10.0 TFL, 108 tackles, and one interception through 16 games.
- Jaquan Brisker has 4.0 sacks (first on the Bears) to go with 4.0 TFL, 93 tackles, and one interception.
- Justin Jones has 3.0 sacks (second on the Bears) in addition to his 9.0 TFL and 48 tackles.
- Trevis Gipson has registered 3.0 sacks (second on the Bears) to go with 4.0 TFL and 27 tackles over 15 games.
Vikings vs. Bears Predictions and Pick
Our prediction to win this matchup is the Vikings, and we expect that Vikings will cover the spread (Vikings -7). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 43 points.
How to Bet on Vikings vs. Bears
You can bet on Vikings vs. Bears at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Vikings vs. Bears picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Not sure what a parlay is? Or even how to bet on football? Check out our complete guide to sports betting.