On Sunday, January 8, 2023, the Carolina Panthers (6-10) visit a red-hot New Orleans Saints (7-9) squad at Caesars Superdome. The Saints are looking to maintain momentum after winning three straight games.
Saints vs. Panthers Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 3 points, with sportsbooks listing the Saints as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Saints have -170 odds to pick up the win, while the Panthers are listed at +145 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 41.5 points.
How to Watch Saints vs. Panthers Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Stadium: Caesars Superdome
The Saints are averaging 335.6 yards per game on offense (19th in NFL), and they rank ninth on defense with 321.8 yards allowed per game. The Saints are totaling 20.2 points per game on offense this year (22nd in NFL), and they are giving up 20.9 points per game (12th) on the defensive side of the ball.
The Saints rank 16th in passing yards this year (220.5 per game), but they’ve been shining on the other side of the ball, ranking third-best in the NFL with 193.9 passing yards allowed per game. The Saints are totaling 115.1 rushing yards per game on offense, which ranks them 19th in the NFL. On the other side of the ball, they rank 21st, giving up 127.9 rushing yards per game.
The Saints are averaging a 40.8% third-down percentage on offense (14th in the NFL), and they rank 22nd defensively with a 40.6% third-down conversion rate allowed. The Saints are accumulating 5.6 yards per play (10th in the league), while surrendering 5.1 per play on the defensive side of the ball (sixth in the NFL) this season. The Saints have forced 12 total turnovers (32nd in NFL) this season and have turned it over 24 times (29th in NFL) resulting in a turnover margin of -12, the second-worst in the NFL.
From an offensive angle, the Panthers are generating 312.7 total yards per contest (27th-ranked). They rank 22nd in the NFL defensively (353.1 total yards surrendered per game). From an offensive perspective, the Panthers are posting 21.1 points per contest (18th-ranked). They rank 22nd in the NFL on defense (22.9 points given up per game).
The Panthers’ passing game has been struggling, ranking fifth-worst in the NFL with 185.3 passing yards per game. They have been more productive defensively, giving up 231.7 passing yards per contest (23rd-ranked). With 127.4 rushing yards per game on offense, the Panthers rank 12th in the NFL. Defensively they rank 19th, allowing 121.4 rushing yards per contest.
The Panthers rank second-worst in third-down conversion percentage (29.8%), but they’ve been more productive defensively, ranking 25th in the NFL with a 41.7% third-down rate allowed. With 5.4 yards per play on offense, the Panthers rank 15th in the NFL. Defensively they rank 13th, surrendering 5.4 yards per play. With 16 forced turnovers (26th in NFL) and 19 turnovers committed (ninth in NFL) this season, the Panthers rank 24th in the NFL with a turnover margin of -3.
Saints vs. Panthers Injury Report
Saints vs. Panthers Betting Analysis
Saints Betting Insights
The Saints have put together a record of 7-9-0 against the spread this season. In games they have played as 3-point favorites or more, the Saints have an ATS record of 1-2.
This season, Saints games have hit the over six times. The Saints won 62.5% of the games last season when they were favored on the moneyline (5-3).
In games they played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -170 or shorter, the Saints went 4-2 (66.7%).
Panthers Betting Insights
The Panthers have covered the spread eight times in 16 games with a set spread. In games they have played as 3-point underdogs or more, the Panthers have an ATS record of 4-4.
This season, Panthers games have hit the over eight times. The Panthers have entered the game as underdogs 12 times this season and won six, or 50%, of those games.
This season, the Panthers have won two of their eight games when they’re the underdog by at least +145 on the moneyline.
Saints vs. Panthers Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||42.3||43.8||40.9|
|Implied Total AVG||22.8||23.4||22.1|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||4-1||3-0||1-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||3-8||1-4||2-4|
|Point Total AVG||41.2||40.5||42.1|
|Implied Total AVG||22.9||21.9||24.1|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||0-4||0-3||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||6-6||5-1||1-5|
Players to Watch
- Andy Dalton has 2,699 passing yards, 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions this year. He has completed 67.1% of his passes, averaging 207.6 yards per game and 7.6 per attempt.
- Alvin Kamara averages 4.0 yards per carry (33rd in the NFL) and 56.5 yards per game, and has 791 total rushing yards. He has recorded two rushing TDs this season.
- Kamara’s 75 targets as part of the passing attack have resulted in 56 catches (4.0 per game) for 487 yards (34.8 per game) and two touchdowns.
- Chris Olave has three touchdown catches this season, and has 67 catches for 982 yards on 107 targets, while averaging 4.8 catches and 70.1 yards per game.
- Rashid Shaheed has put up 454 receiving yards and two touchdowns with 25 catches on 30 targets. He’s averaging 2.3 receptions and 41.3 yards per game.
- Over on defense, Demario Davis has one interception to go with 103 tackles, 8.0 TFL, 7.0 sacks, and six passes defended in 2022.
- Kaden Elliss has 72 tackles, 7.0 TFL, and 7.0 sacks this season. He’s fourth on the Saints in tackles.
- Cameron Jordan has totaled 59 tackles, 10.0 TFL, and 8.0 sacks so far this year.
- Tyrann Mathieu has two interceptions while also adding 83 tackles, 3.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, and seven passes defended.
- D.J. Moore has recorded 878 receiving yards and seven touchdowns on 62 receptions, while being targeted 114 times this season.
- Sam Darnold has 1,100 passing yards, seven touchdowns and one interception. His completion percentage is 61.6% and he averages 220.0 yards per game and 8.8 per attempt.
- Darnold also has two rushing touchdowns and 74 rushing yards (fourth on the Panthers).
- This season through 14 games, Chuba Hubbard has churned out 397 rushing yards (second on the Panthers) and scored two rushing touchdowns. He averages 28.4 yards per game and 5.4 per carry.
- Hubbard has helped out in the receiving game, picking up 171 receiving yards (12.2 per game) on 14 catches (1.0 per game), while being targeted 16 times. He is looking for his first receiving touchdown.
- Terrace Marshall Jr. has 467 receiving yards and one touchdown from 26 receptions after getting 44 targets.
- In 2022, Frankie Luvu has recorded 7.0 sacks to go with 17.0 TFL, 104 tackles, and one interception through 14 games.
- Shaq Thompson’s stat sheet includes 128 tackles, 8.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks, and four passes defended.
- Xavier Woods has 82 tackles in the 2022 campaign.
- Derrick Brown’s season stats include 60 tackles, 5.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, and one interception through 16 games.
Saints vs. Panthers Predictions and Pick
Our pick to win this game is the Saints, and we project that Saints will cover the spread (Saints -3). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 41.5 points.
How to Bet on Saints vs. Panthers
You can bet on Saints vs. Panthers at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Saints vs. Panthers picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Not sure what a parlay is? Or even how to bet on football? Check out our complete guide to sports betting.