On Sunday, December 18, 2022, the Carolina Panthers (5-8) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (5-8) match up at Bank of America Stadium.
Panthers vs. Steelers Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 3 points, with bookmakers listing the Panthers as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Panthers have -150 odds to pick up the win, while the Steelers are listed at +130 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 37.5 points.
How to Watch Panthers vs. Steelers Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, December 18, 2022
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: CBS
- Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
- Stadium: Bank of America Stadium
The Panthers have been a bottom-five offense this season, ranking third-worst with 294.2 yards per game. On defense, they are ranked 16th in the NFL (343.5 yards allowed per game). The Panthers rank 24th in scoring offense (20.0 points per game) and 13th in scoring defense (22.3 points allowed per game) this season.
The Panthers rank third-worst in passing offense (169.2 passing yards per game), but they’ve been slightly better on defense, ranking 15th with 214.7 passing yards allowed per game. The Panthers are averaging 124.9 rushing yards per game on offense (13th in the NFL), and they rank 24th on the other side of the ball with 128.8 rushing yards allowed per game.
The Panthers rank third-worst in third-down conversion rate (28.7%), but they’ve been better on defense, ranking 22nd with a 40.6% third-down conversion rate allowed. The Panthers are giving up 5.3 yards per play on the defensive side of the ball (11th in the NFL), while accumulating 5.1 per play (23rd in the league) on offense this season. The Panthers have forced 14 total turnovers (23rd in NFL) this season and have turned it over 16 times (18th in NFL) for a turnover margin of -2, 18th-ranked in the league.
The Steelers are generating 317.2 total yards per contest on offense this season (26th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are surrendering 358.5 total yards per game (22nd-ranked). In terms of points scored the Steelers rank 27th in the NFL (17.5 points per game), and they are 14th on the other side of the ball (22.5 points allowed per contest).
The Steelers rank 24th in the NFL with 204.2 passing yards per game on offense, and they rank 24th with 242.7 passing yards surrendered per game on the defensive side of the ball. The Steelers are generating 113.0 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (19th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are surrendering 115.8 rushing yards per contest (15th-ranked) on defense.
In terms of third-down efficiency, the Steelers rank 16th in the NFL (40.0% third-down conversion rate) and 13th defensively (38.5% third-down rate allowed). The Steelers rank 27th in the NFL with 4.9 yards per play on offense, and they rank 20th with 5.7 yards given up per play on defense. At 0, the Steelers own the 15th-ranked turnover margin in the NFL, with 17 forced turnovers (10th in NFL) and 17 turnovers committed (19th in NFL).
Panthers vs. Steelers Injury Report
|Laviska Shenault Jr.||WR||Shoulder||Questionable|
Panthers vs. Steelers Betting Analysis
Panthers Betting Insights
The Panthers are 7-6-0 against the spread this season.
This season, Panthers games have hit the over five times. The Panthers won 28.6% of the games last season when they were the moneyline favorite (2-5).
The Panthers had a 2-2 record last year (winning 50% of their games) when they played as a moneyline favorite of -150 or shorter.
Steelers Betting Insights
The Steelers have covered the spread six times in 13 games with a set spread. In games they were an underdog in by 3 points or more so far this season, the Steelers have gone 3-4-1 against the spread.
Games involving Steelers have hit the over five times this year. The Steelers have entered the game as underdogs nine times this season and won three of those games.
This season, the Steelers have won two of their seven games when they’re the underdog by at least +130 on the moneyline.
Panthers vs. Steelers Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||41.3||40.5||42.3|
|Implied Total AVG||23.2||22.0||24.5|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||0-3||0-2||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||5-5||4-1||1-4|
|Point Total AVG||41.5||40.5||42.4|
|Implied Total AVG||23.6||22.3||24.7|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||2-2||1-2||1-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||3-6||1-2||2-4|
Players to Watch
- On the ground, D’Onta Foreman averages 4.3 yards per attempt (29th in the NFL) and 49.0 yards per game for 637 total rushing yards. He has recorded four rushing touchdowns this season.
- D.J. Moore has caught 46 passes on 91 targets for 605 total yards and four touchdowns. He is averaging 3.5 catches and 46.5 yards per game through 13 games.
- In 11 games, Chuba Hubbard has amassed 250 rushing yards, averaging 22.7 yards per game and scoring two touchdowns.
- Terrace Marshall Jr. averages 1.9 receptions and 34.6 yards per game, and has 346 total receiving yards and 19 catches. He’s gotten 35 total targets, and has caught one touchdown pass.
- Over on defense, Frankie Luvu has 78 tackles, 12.0 TFL, 5.0 sacks, and one interception in 2022.
- Brian Burns has 55 tackles, 13.0 TFL, 10.5 sacks, and two passes defended.
- Shaq Thompson has recorded 98 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks, and four passes defended.
- Derrick Brown has one interception while adding 51 tackles, 5.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, and six passes defended.
- George Pickens has totaled 590 receiving yards and two touchdowns on 40 receptions, while being targeted 65 times this season.
- Diontae Johnson has put together a 2022 stat sheet that includes 67 catches for 647 yards without a receiving touchdown over 13 games played. He has been on the receiving end of 113 targets and is averaging 5.2 receptions per game.
- Mitchell Trubisky has thrown for 1,073 yards this year, four touchdowns and five interceptions. He is completing 63.3% of his attempts while averaging 178.8 yards per game and 6.8 per attempt.
- Trubisky has also rushed for one touchdown and 29 yards (seventh on the Steelers).
- Jaylen Warren averages 17.2 rushing yards per game over 12 games (206 total yards), but has not yet scored a rushing touchdown.
- Warren also has 167 receiving yards (13.9 per game) on 20 catches (1.7 per game). He has been targeted 23 times while he is still looking for his first receiving touchdown.
- Alex Highsmith has put up 10.0 sacks (first on the Steelers and ninth in the NFL) to go with 7.0 TFL and 46 tackles over 13 games in 2022.
- Minkah Fitzpatrick has four interceptions on top of 73 tackles, 1.0 TFL, and eight passes defended. He’s fourth in the NFL in interceptions.
- In the 2022 campaign, Cameron Heyward has 53 tackles, 7.0 TFL, and 5.0 sacks in 13 games.
- Devin Bush Jr. has 70 tackles, 2.0 TFL, and two passes defended.
Panthers vs. Steelers Predictions and Pick
Our pick to win this contest is the Panthers, and we predict that Steelers will cover the spread (Panthers -3). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 37.5 points.
How to Bet on Panthers vs. Steelers
You can bet on Panthers vs. Steelers at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Panthers vs. Steelers picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.