When the Washington Commanders (7-8-1) host the Dallas Cowboys (12-4) on Sunday, January 8, 2023 at FedExField, they will try to break a three-game losing streak.
Cowboys vs. Commanders Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 7 points, with oddsmakers listing the Cowboys as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Cowboys have -300 odds to pick up the win, while the Commanders are listed at +250 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 40 points.
How to Watch Cowboys vs. Commanders Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Game Time: 4:25 PM ET
- TV Channel: FOX
- Location: Landover, Maryland
- Stadium: FedExField
The Cowboys are putting up 365.8 yards per game on offense (eighth in NFL), and they rank 13th on the other side of the ball with 331.5 yards allowed per game. The Cowboys rank sixth in scoring defense this year (19.8 points allowed per game), but they’ve been shining on the other side of the ball, ranking second-best in the NFL with 28.8 points per game.
The Cowboys rank 14th in pass offense (226.1 passing yards per game) and ninth in pass defense (203.6 passing yards allowed per game) this year. From an offensive standpoint, the Cowboys rank eighth in the NFL with 139.6 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 21st in rushing yards allowed per contest (127.9).
The Cowboys sport the 13th-ranked defense this season in terms of third-down efficiency (38.7% third-down conversion rate allowed), and they’ve been more effective on the other side of the ball, ranking third-best with a 47.4% third-down conversion rate. This season, the Cowboys are accumulating 5.6 yards per play (10th in the league), while allowing 5.1 per play on the defensive side of the ball (sixth in the NFL). The Cowboys have the best turnover margin in the NFL at +11, forcing 32 turnovers (first in NFL) while turning it over 21 times (15th in NFL).
The Commanders’ defensive unit has been leading the charge for the team, as they rank fourth-best in the NFL with 312.3 total yards ceded per contest. In terms of offense, they are putting up 331.6 total yards per game, which ranks 20th. From an offensive perspective, the Commanders are compiling 18.4 points per game (25th-ranked). They rank 14th in the NFL on the other side of the ball (21.1 points allowed per game).
The Commanders’ pass defense has been leading the way for the team, as they rank fifth-best in the NFL with 195.9 passing yards ceded per game. In terms of offense, they are generating 207.1 passing yards per game, which ranks 20th. In terms of rushing, the Commanders rank 14th in the NFL on offense (124.5 rushing yards per game) and 14th defensively (116.4 rushing yards allowed per contest).
The Commanders’ third-down defense has been leading the charge for the team, as they rank best in the NFL with a 32.8% third-down conversion percentage allowed. In terms of offense, they are compiling a 36.1% third-down rate, which ranks 25th. The Commanders rank 27th in the NFL with 4.9 yards per play on offense, and they rank 13th with 5.4 yards surrendered per play on defense. At -6, the Commanders have the 27th-ranked turnover margin in the NFL, with 16 forced turnovers (26th in NFL) and 22 turnovers committed (23rd in NFL).
Cowboys vs. Commanders Injury Report
|Leighton Vander Esch||LB||Neck||Out|
|Brian Robinson Jr.||RB||Knee||Out|
Cowboys vs. Commanders Betting Analysis
Cowboys Betting Insights
The Cowboys have covered the spread 10 times over 16 games with a set spread. The Cowboys are 3-2 ATS when playing as at least 7-point favorites.
This season, Cowboys games have hit the over nine times. The Cowboys won 10 of the 13 games they were listed as the moneyline favorite last season (76.9%).
The Cowboys had a 5-2 record last year (winning 71.4% of their games) when playing as a moneyline favorite of -300 or shorter.
Commanders Betting Insights
The Commanders have covered the spread eight times this year (8-8-0). In games they have played as 7-point underdogs or more, the Commanders have a perfect ATS record of 1-0.
Commanders games have gone over the total five times this season. This season, the Commanders have won three out of the seven games in which they’ve been the underdog.
The Commanders have played as an underdog of +250 or more once this season and won that game.
Cowboys vs. Commanders Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||44.5||45.4||43.4|
|Implied Total AVG||25.5||26.7||24.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||9-2||7-0||2-2|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||3-2||1-1||2-1|
|Point Total AVG||41.9||42.6||41.1|
|Implied Total AVG||22.8||23.0||22.6|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||4-3-1||2-2||2-1-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||3-4||1-2||2-2|
Players to Watch
- Tony Pollard’s rushing output this season includes 988 yards and nine TDs. He’s averaging 65.9 yards per game and 5.3 per attempt (sixth in the NFL).
- He’s also caught 39 passes (on 54 targets) for 371 receiving yards with three touchdowns. He’s averaging 24.7 receving yards and 2.6 catches per game.
- Dak Prescott has passed for 2,732 yards, 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions this year. He averages 248.4 yards per game and 7.7 per attempt, while completing 69.2%.
- He has rushed for 166 yards (third on the Cowboys) and added one touchdown on the ground, while averaging 15.1 rushing yards per game.
- CeeDee Lamb has eight touchdown catches this season (seventh in the NFL), and has 102 catches (fifth in the NFL) for 1,307 yards (seventh in the NFL) on 149 targets, while averaging 6.4 catches and 81.7 yards per game.
- In the ground game, Ezekiel Elliott averages 3.9 yards per attempt (37th in the NFL) and 61.9 yards per game for 866 total rushing yards. He has scored 12 rushing touchdowns this season.
- On the defensive side, Micah Parsons has 62 tackles, 10.0 TFL, 12.0 sacks, and three passes defended in 2022.
- Donovan Wilson has 93 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 5.0 sacks, and one interception so far this season. He leads the Cowboys in tackles.
- Demarcus Lawrence has collected 62 tackles, 8.0 TFL, and 6.0 sacks this year.
- This season, Jayron Kearse has 74 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 2.0 sacks, and one interception.
- So far this year, Terry McLaurin has 74 receptions for 1,117 yards with four receiving touchdowns. He has been targeted 114 times and averages 4.6 catches per game in 16 games played.
- Taylor Heinicke has 1,859 passing yards, 12 touchdowns and six interceptions. His completion percentage is 62.2% and he averages 206.6 yards per game and 7.2 per attempt.
- He has added 96 rushing yards (fifth on the Commanders), while scoring one touchdown on the ground (averaging 10.7 yards per game and 3.4 per carry).
- In 16 games played this season, Curtis Samuel has 63 catches (3.9 receptions per game on 5.7 targets per game) for 658 yards and four receiving touchdowns.
- Through eight games, Carson Wentz has 1,755 passing yards, while throwing 11 touchdowns against nine interceptions and completing 62.3% of his attempts.
- He has added 86 rushing yards (seventh on the Commanders), while scoring one touchdown on the ground (averaging 10.8 yards per game and 3.9 per carry).
- Da’Ron Payne has 62 tackles, 17.0 TFL, 11.5 sacks, and five passes defended in 2022.
- Montez Sweat has totaled 8.0 sacks in addition to his 14.0 TFL and 43 tackles through 16 games.
- Darrick Forrest has 1.0 TFL, 77 tackles, and four interceptions.
- Bobby McCain has 3.0 TFL and 75 tackles.
Cowboys vs. Commanders Predictions and Pick
Our prediction to win this contest is the Cowboys, and we predict that Cowboys will cover the spread (Cowboys -7). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 40 points.
How to Bet on Cowboys vs. Commanders
You can bet on Cowboys vs. Commanders at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Cowboys vs. Commanders picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Not sure what a parlay is? Or even how to bet on football? Check out our complete guide to sports betting.