On Sunday, October 2, 2022, the Los Angeles Chargers (1-2) and the Houston Texans (0-2-1) clash at NRG Stadium.
Chargers vs. Texans Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 6 points, with oddsmakers listing the Chargers as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Chargers have -255 odds to pick up the win, while the Texans are listed at +215 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 45 points.
How to Watch Chargers vs. Texans Live?
- Game Day: Sunday, October 2, 2022
- Game Time: 1:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: CBS
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Stadium: NRG Stadium
On offense, the Chargers rank 12th in the NFL with 356.0 yards per game. Meanwhile, they rank 19th in total defense (350.7 yards allowed per contest). The Chargers own the 16th-ranked scoring offense this season (19.3 points per game), and they’ve been less effective on defense, ranking fourth-worst with 28.0 points allowed per game. On offense, the Chargers have been a top-five unit in terms of passing yards, ranking second-best in the NFL by putting up 297.0 per game. They rank 20th on defense (248.0 passing yards allowed per game). The Chargers have been a bottom-five run offense this year, ranking worst with 59.0 rushing yards per game. Defensively, they are ranked 11th in the NFL (102.7 rushing yards allowed per game). From an offensive standpoint, the Chargers rank 15th in the NFL with a 37.2% third-down conversion rate. Meanwhile, they rank 23rd in third-down percentage allowed (44.7%). The Chargers are allowing 5.7 yards per play on the defensive side of the ball (19th in the NFL), while gaining 5.4 per play (14th in the league) on offense this season. The Chargers have forced three total turnovers (18th in NFL) this season and have turned it over three times (seventh in NFL) for a turnover margin of an even, 13th-ranked in the NFL.
The Texans have been unproductive on both offense and defense this season, ranking fourth-worst in total offense (287.3 total yards per game) and third-worst in total defense (410.0 total yards allowed per game). In terms of points scored the Texans rank 26th in the NFL (16.3 points per game), and they are 12th on the other side of the ball (19.7 points allowed per game). From an offensive standpoint, the Texans are posting 204.3 passing yards per contest (25th-ranked). They rank 11th in the NFL on the other side of the ball (207.7 passing yards given up per game). The Texans have been struggling in run defense, ranking worst with 202.3 rushing yards surrendered per game. They have been more effective on the other side of the ball, putting up 83.0 rushing yards per contest (27th-ranked). The Texans rank worst in third-down conversion rate (25.0%), but they’ve been more effective on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 15th in the NFL with a 36.6% third-down rate allowed. The Texans rank second-worst in yards per play (4.7), but they’ve been more productive on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 19th in the NFL with 5.7 yards conceded per play. At +2, the Texans have the sixth-ranked turnover margin in the NFL, with five forced turnovers (eighth in NFL) and three turnovers committed (seventh in NFL).
Chargers vs. Texans Injury Report
Chargers: WR Keenan Allen: Out (Hamstring), OT Rashawn Slater: Out (Biceps), WR Jalen Guyton: Out (Acl), TE Donald Parham: Questionable (Hamstring), C Corey Linsley: Questionable (Knee), OLB Joey Bosa: Out (Groin)
Texans: FB Austin Deculus: Out (Knee), TE Pharaoh Brown: Questionable (Hip), TE Brevin Jordan: Out (Ankle), FB Kurt Hinish: Questionable (Foot), DB Isaac Yiadom: Questionable (Thigh), OLB Jalen Reeves-Maybin: Questionable (Back)
Chargers vs. Texans Betting Analysis
Chargers Betting Insights
The Chargers have covered the spread two times in three games with a set spread. The Chargers are winless against the spread when they have played as 6-point favorites or more (0-1). Games involving the Chargers have hit the over once this season. The Chargers finished with a 6-6 record in games they were listed as the moneyline favorite last season (winning 50% of those games). The Chargers went 3-1 in games they played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -255 or shorter (75%).
Texans Betting Insights
The Texans are a perfect 3-0-0 against the spread this season. The Texans are a perfect 2-0 ATS when playing as at least 6-point underdogs. Texans games have gone over the total once this season. This season, the Texans have been listed as the underdog in three games and failed to win any of those contests. The Texans have been at least a +215 moneyline underdog two times this season, but lost all of those games.
Chargers vs. Texans Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||50.2||49.0||52.5|
|Implied Total AVG||27.3||27.0||28.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||1-1||1-1||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-1||0-0||0-1|
|Point Total AVG||43.7||46.0||42.5|
|Implied Total AVG||25.7||27.0||25.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||0-0||0-0||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-2-1||0-0-1||0-2|
Players to Watch
- Justin Herbert has thrown for 910 yards (fifth in the NFL), seven touchdowns (sixth in the NFL) and two interceptions this year. He is averaging 303.3 yards per game and 7.2 per attempt, while completing 66.1% of his attempts.
- Mike Williams’ 138 receiving yards this season have come from 20 targets and 11 receptions. He’s averaging 46.0 receiving yards and 3.7 catches per game, with two receiving touchdowns.
- In three games, Austin Ekeler has amassed 80 rushing yards, averaging 26.7 yards per game without scoring a touchdown.
- Ekeler has picked up 21 catches, 139 yards and zero TDs through the air.
- Gerald Everett averages 3.7 receptions and 50.0 yards per game, and has 150 total receiving yards and 11 catches. He’s gotten 20 total targets, and has caught one touchdown pass.
- On defense, Drue Tranquill has 23 tackles, 0.5 sacks, and one interception in 2022.
- Derwin James has 24 tackles, 1.0 TFL, and 1.0 sack so far this season. He leads the Chargers in tackles.
- Khalil Mack has collected 13 tackles and 3.5 sacks this year.
- Asante Samuel Jr. has 12 tackles and one interception on the year.
- Davis Mills has passed for 662 yards this year, with three touchdowns and two interceptions. He is completing 57.9% of his passes while averaging 220.7 yards per game and 6.2 per attempt.
- Dameon Pierce has 182 rushing yards (leading the Texans) and one rushing touchdown, while averaging 60.7 yards per game and 4.0 per carry (35th in the NFL).
- Pierce has also collected 35 receiving yards (11.7 per game) on four catches (1.3 per game). He’s been targeted four times and is still seeking his first receiving touchdown.
- This season, O.J. Howard has caught three passes for 45 receiving yards with two touchdowns through the air. He has been targeted four total times and is averaging 1.0 receptions per game in three games played.
- Brandin Cooks has 158 receiving yards from 13 receptions after receiving 29 targets.
- In 2022, Jalen Pitre has recorded 1.0 sack to go with 2.0 TFL, 24 tackles, and two interceptions through three games.
- Jonathan Owens has 36 tackles and one pass defended.
- Jerry Hughes has intercepted one pass on top of eight tackles, 2.0 TFL, 4.0 sacks, and one pass defended in the 2022 season. His interception total ranks 10th in the NFL.
- Kamu Grugier-Hill has 26 tackles and one pass defended.
Chargers vs. Texans Predictions and Pick
Our prediction to win this contest is the Texans, and we expect that Texans will cover the spread (Chargers -6). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going under the posted total of 45 points.
How to Bet on Chargers vs. Texans
You can bet on Chargers vs. Texans at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Chargers vs. Texans picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.