The Kansas City Chiefs (1-0) and the Los Angeles Chargers (1-0) — two AFC West foes — go head to head on Thursday, September 15, 2022 at Arrowhead Stadium.
Chiefs vs. Chargers Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 4 points, with sportsbooks listing the Chiefs as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Chiefs have -195 odds to pick up the win, while the Chargers are listed at +165 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 54 points.
How to Watch Chiefs vs. Chargers Live?
- Game Day: Thursday, September 15, 2022
- Game Time: 8:15 PM ET
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri
- Stadium: Arrowhead Stadium
- The Chargers’ defense allowed 27.0 points per game last season, close to the 28.2 the Chiefs scored.
- Kansas City was 6-4 against the spread and 8-2 overall last season when the team put up over 27.0 points.
- The Chiefs’ offense held a 36.7-yard advantage in yards gained per game versus yards allowed by the Chargers’ defense last year (396.8 to 360.1). The Chiefs averaged 5.9 yards per play, while the Chargers gave up 5.6.
- When Kansas City totaled more than 360.1 yards last year, the team was 7-7 against the spread and 10-4 overall.
- The Chargers’ defense gave up an average of 138.9 yards to opposing running games last season. That is 23.9 more yards than the Chiefs averaged running the football (115.0).
- Kansas City had a 1-2 ATS record and a 1-2 overall record when the team rushed for more than 138.9 yards last year.
- The Chargers, on average, scored 6.5 more points (27.9) than the Chiefs gave up (21.4) last year.
- When Los Angeles recorded more than 21.4 points last season, it was 7-5 against the spread and 8-4 overall.
- The Chargers’ offense averaged 390.2 yards per game last season, 21.3 more than the 368.9 the Chiefs’ defense gave up. The Chargers earned 5.9 yards per play, while the Chiefs conceded 5.9.
- In games that Los Angeles amassed more than 368.9 yards last season, the team was 5-6 against the spread and 6-5 overall.
- The Chargers averaged 107.9 yards on the ground last season, just 9.7 yards fewer than the Chiefs allowed to opposing rushing attacks (117.6).
- Last season Los Angeles had a 2-3 ATS record and a 3-2 overall record in games the team rushed for over 117.6 yards.
Chiefs vs. Chargers Injury Report
Chiefs: K Harrison Butker: Out (Ankle), OT Lucas Niang: Out (Kneecap), FB Trey Smith: Questionable (Ankle), CB Trent McDuffie: Out (Hamstring)
Chargers: WR Keenan Allen: Out (Hamstring), TE Donald Parham: Out (Hamstring), CB J.C. Jackson: Questionable (Ankle)
Chiefs vs. Chargers Betting Analysis
Chiefs Betting Insights
- Against the spread, the Chiefs were 8-9-0 last year.
- The Chiefs went 5-7 as 4-point favorites or greater last season.
- Kansas City was the moneyline favorite 17 total times last season. They went 12-5 in those games.
- Kansas City went 9-3 when it played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -195 or shorter (75%).
- Out of 17 Chiefs games last year, 10 went over the total.
Chargers Betting Insights
- The Chargers’ record against the spread last season was 8-9-0.
- The Chargers covered every time (1-0) as underdogs of 4 points or greater last year.
- Los Angeles won three of the five games it played as underdogs last season.
- Los Angeles entered one game last season as the underdog by +165 or more and won each of those games.
- The Chargers had 10 of its 17 games go over the point total last year.
Chiefs vs. Chargers Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||51.9||51.2||52.7|
|Implied Total AVG||29.2||29.3||29.1|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||12-5||7-2||5-3|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-0||0-0||0-0|
|Point Total AVG||49.3||49.7||48.9|
|Implied Total AVG||27.1||27.3||26.8|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||5-6||5-3||0-3|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||3-2||0-1||3-1|
Players to Watch
- Patrick Mahomes II averaged 7.4 passing yards per attempt (14th in the NFL) and 284.6 yards per game last year, completing 66.3% of his passes on the way to 4,839 total yards (fourth in the NFL), 37 touchdowns (fourth in the NFL) and 13 interceptions in 17 games.
- On the ground, Mahomes added two rushing touchdowns and 381 rushing yards.
- Travis Kelce put together a 2021 stat sheet that included 92 catches for 1,125 yards and nine receiving touchdowns (ninth in the NFL) over 16 games played. He was on the receiving end of 134 targets and averaged 5.8 receptions per game.
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire averaged 51.7 rushing yards per game last season (517 total yards), while scoring four rushing touchdowns.
- Edwards-Helaire helped out in the passing game, picking up 129 receiving yards (12.9 per game) on 19 catches (1.9 per game), while being targeted 23 times. He had two receiving touchdowns.
- Mecole Hardman was targeted 83 times, resulting in 59 catches for 693 yards .
- Nick Bolton recorded 11.0 TFL and 112 tackles over 16 games in 2021.
- L’Jarius Sneed had 1.0 sack in addition to his 7.0 TFL, 76 tackles, and two interceptions over 15 games.
- Carlos Dunlap had 34 tackles, 8.0 TFL, 8.5 sacks, and seven passes defended during the 2021 season for the Seahawks.
- Chris Jones totaled 9.0 sacks to go with 8.0 TFL and 27 tackles in 14 games.
- Justin Herbert last year piled up 5,014 passing yards with 38 passing touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a 65.9% completion percentage.
- Herbert also generated offense on the ground, scrambling for 302 yards (4.8 YPC) and three touchdowns.
- As a runner, Austin Ekeler accumulated 911 yards on the ground with 12 touchdowns.
- Ekeler had 70 receptions (4.4 per game) for 647 yards (40.4 per game) and eight TDs.
- Last season Mike Williams grabbed 76 balls on 129 targets for 1,146 yards and nine touchdowns.
- Keenan Allen was targeted 157 times leading to 106 catches, 1,138 yards and six touchdowns in 16 games.
- Derwin James helped lead the defense with 118 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 2.0 sacks, and two interceptions in 15 games.
- On defense, Joey Bosa delivered 10.5 sacks to go with 5.0 TFL and 51 tackles.
- With 58 tackles, 2.0 TFL, and eight interceptions, J.C. Jackson was an important player last season on the Patriots’ defense.
- A significant contributor on the Patriots’ defense last season, Kyle Van Noy had one interception to go with 66 tackles, 5.0 TFL, 5.0 sacks, and 10 passes defended.
Chiefs vs. Chargers Predictions and Pick
Our pick to win this contest is the Chiefs, and we project that Chiefs will cover the spread (Chiefs -4). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going under the posted total of 54 points.
How to Bet on Chiefs vs. Chargers
You can bet on Chiefs vs. Chargers at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Chiefs vs. Chargers picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.