On Monday, October 17, 2022, the Denver Broncos (2-3) hit the road for an AFC West matchup against the Los Angeles Chargers (3-2) at SoFi Stadium.
Chargers vs. Broncos Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 4.5 points, with oddsmakers listing the Chargers as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, the Chargers have -215 odds to pick up the win, while the Broncos are listed at +185 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 45.5 points.
How to Watch Chargers vs. Broncos Live?
- Game Day: Monday, October 17, 2022
- Game Time: 8:15 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Location: Inglewood, California
- Stadium: SoFi Stadium
The Chargers rank 23rd in total defense this season (368.2 yards allowed per game), but they’ve been thriving on the other side of the ball, ranking fifth-best in the NFL with 390.4 total yards per game. The Chargers have the ninth-ranked scoring offense this year (24.4 points per game), and they’ve been less effective on defense, ranking third-worst with 27.2 points allowed per game.
The Chargers have the 20th-ranked defense this season in terms of passing yards (237.8 allowed per game), and they’ve been more effective on offense, ranking second-best with 291.2 passing yards per game. The Chargers are putting up 99.2 rushing yards per game on offense, which ranks them 22nd in the NFL. On the other side of the ball, they rank 24th, allowing 130.4 rushing yards per contest.
The Chargers are putting up a 39.1% third-down conversion rate offensively this year (18th in NFL), and they are giving up a 41.7% third-down percentage (19th) on the defensive side of the ball. In addition to 6.1 yards per play allowed on defense, which ranks fifth-worst in the NFL, the Chargers have posted the seventh-ranked yards-per-play average on offense (5.9). With six forced turnovers (19th in NFL) against four turnovers committed (fourth in NFL), the Chargers’ +2 turnover margin ranks seventh in the NFL.
The Broncos have been keeping opposing offenses in check on defense, allowing just 289 total yards per game (third-best). Offensively, they rank 18th by posting 343.6 total yards per game. The Broncos rank second-worst in points per game on offense (15), but at least they’ve been shutting down opposing offenses on defense, ranking fourth-best in points surrendered per contest (16).
The Broncos’ pass defense has been leading the way for the team, as they rank best in the NFL with 176.6 passing yards allowed per contest. In terms of offense, they are posting 231 passing yards per game, which ranks 18th. The Broncos are putting up 112.6 rushing yards per contest on offense this season (19th-ranked). Meanwhile, they are allowing 112.4 rushing yards per contest (14th-ranked) on defense.
The Broncos’ offense has been sputtering on third down, ranking third-worst in the NFL with a 30.6% third-down conversion percentage. They have been better on the defensive side of the ball, allowing a 31.2% third-down rate (sixth-ranked). In terms of yards per play, the Broncos’ defense has been paving the way for the team, as they rank third-best in the NFL with 4.7 yards surrendered per play. In terms of offense, they are putting up 5.4 yards per play, which ranks 18th. After forcing six turnovers (19th in NFL) and turning the ball over six times (10th in NFL) this season, the Broncos have the 17th-ranked turnover margin of 0.
Chargers vs. Broncos Injury Report
|Melvin Gordon III||RB||Knee||Questionable|
Chargers vs. Broncos Betting Analysis
Chargers Betting Insights
The Chargers have covered the spread three times over five games with a set spread. In games they have played as 4.5-point favorites or more, the Chargers have an ATS record of 1-1.
This season, Chargers games have hit the over three times. The Chargers were favored on the moneyline 12 total times last season. They finished 6-6 in those games.
In games they played as a moneyline favorite with odds of -215 or shorter, the Chargers had a record of 3-1 (75%).
Broncos Betting Insights
The Broncos have covered the spread one time this season (1-4-0).
This season, Broncos games have hit the over once. The Broncos have split the two games they’ve played as underdogs this season.
The Broncos have not been a bigger underdog this season than the +185 moneyline set for this game.
Chargers vs. Broncos Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||48.7||49||48.5|
|Implied Total AVG||26.6||27||26.3|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-1||1-1||2-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-1||0-0||0-1|
|Point Total AVG||44.3||44.2||44.5|
|Implied Total AVG||24.6||24.7||24.5|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||1-2||1-1||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-1||1-0||0-1|
Players to Watch
- Justin Herbert has 1,478 passing yards (third in the NFL), 10 touchdowns (fifth in the NFL) and two interceptions this year. He has completed 66.5% of his attempts, averaging 295.6 yards per game and 7.4 per attempt.
- Austin Ekeler averages 5.1 yards per carry (16th in the NFL) and 62.6 yards per game, and has 313 total rushing yards. He has scored three rushing TDs this season.
- Ekeler’s 33 targets in the passing game have turned into 31 catches (6.2 per game) for 214 yards (42.8 per game) and two touchdowns.
- Mike Williams has two touchdown catches this season, and has 28 catches for 392 yards on 44 targets, while averaging 5.6 catches and 78.4 yards per game.
- Gerald Everett has 213 receiving yards and two touchdowns with 17 catches on 29 targets. He is averaging 3.4 receptions and 42.6 yards per game.
- Over on the defensive side, Derwin James has 44 tackles, two TFL, one sack, and three passes defended in 2022.
- Drue Tranquill has picked off one pass and has added 40 tackles, 0.5 sacks, and two passes defended.
- This season, Khalil Mack has recorded 4.5 sacks (eighth in the NFL) in addition to his two TFL and 17 tackles.
- Asante Samuel Jr. has one interception while tacking on 22 tackles, one TFL, and four passes defended.
- Russell Wilson is averaging 7.4 passing yards per attempt (14th in the NFL) and 250.8 yards per game this year, completing 59.4% of his passes on the way to 1,254 total yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions through five games.
- He’s added 73 yards on the ground (third on the Broncos), while scoring one rushing touchdown. He’s averaging 14.6 yards per game and 4.3 per attempt.
- Courtland Sutton has 29 catches for 417 yards (sixth in the NFL) and one receiving touchdown. He has been targeted 46 times and averages 5.8 receptions per game in five games played.
- This season, Jerry Jeudy has caught 14 passes for 236 receiving yards with two touchdowns through the air. He has been targeted 29 total times and is averaging 2.8 receptions per game through five games played.
- Melvin Gordon III averages 38.6 rushing yards per game through five games (193 total yards), with one rushing touchdown.
- Gordon has also caught 11 passes for 98 yards (third on the Broncos). He’s been targeted 13 times and averages 19.6 yards per game.
- Bradley Chubb has recorded 5.5 sacks (first on the Broncos and fifth in the NFL) to go with two TFL and 18 tackles through five games in 2022.
- Josey Jewell has 30 tackles, three TFL, and 1.5 sacks. He leads the Broncos in tackles.
- D.J. Jones has 15 tackles, three TFL, and two sacks in the 2022 campaign.
- Dre’Mont Jones’ stat sheet includes 14 tackles, three TFL, and 2.5 sacks in five games
Chargers vs. Broncos Predictions and Pick
Our pick to win this game is the Chargers, and we expect that Chargers will cover the spread (Chargers -4.5). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going under the posted total of 45.5 points.
How to Bet on Chargers vs. Broncos
You can bet on Chargers vs. Broncos at every legal online sportsbook. For more NFL odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as NFL prop odds, check out the latest NFL lines as well as our guide to the best NFL betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Chargers vs. Broncos picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Not sure what a parlay is? Or even how to bet on football? Check out our complete guide to sports betting.