It’ll be the West Virginia Mountaineers (1-2) versus the Virginia Tech Hokies (2-1) in college football play at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Virginia.
West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 2.5 points, with oddsmakers listing West Virginia as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, West Virginia has -134 odds to pick up the win, while Virginia Tech is listed at +111 to claim victory.
Finally, the over/under for the game is set at 50 points.
How to Watch West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Live?
- Game Day: Thursday, September 22, 2022
- Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
- Stadium: Lane Stadium
- West Virginia ranks 41st in total defense this season (327.7 yards allowed per game), but has been thriving on the offensive side of the ball, ranking 14th-best in the FBS with 509.7 total yards per game.
- West Virginia ranks 104th in scoring defense this year (33.3 points allowed per game), but has been thriving on the other side of the ball, ranking 11th-best in the FBS with 46.0 points per game.
- The Mountaineers are averaging 292.3 passing yards per game on offense this year (30th in the FBS), and they are surrendering 208.3 passing yards per game (61st) on defense.
- West Virginia ranks 27th in run offense (217.3 rushing yards per game) and 50th in run defense (119.3 rushing yards allowed per game) this season.
- While the Mountaineers rank 21st-worst in the FBS in third-down efficiency on defense with a 46.3% third-down percentage allowed, it’s been a different story offensively, as they rank 14th-best in the FBS (54.3% third-down percentage).
- With two forced turnovers (110th in the FBS) against four turnovers committed (50th in the FBS), West Virginia (-2) has the 100th-ranked turnover margin in college football.
- Virginia Tech’s defense has been leading the way for the team, as it ranks fifth-best in the FBS with 199.7 total yards ceded per game. In terms of offense, it is accumulating 366.3 total yards per game, which ranks 92nd.
- The Hokies have been keeping opposing offenses in check on defense, giving up just 12.3 points per game (16th-best). Offensively, they rank 102nd by piling up 23.7 points per game.
- Virginia Tech’s pass defense has been leading the way for the team, as it ranks 16th-best in the FBS with 159.0 passing yards ceded per game. In terms of offense, it is generating 225.0 passing yards per game, which ranks 87th.
- The Hokies have been thriving on run defense, giving up only 40.7 rushing yards per contest (third-best). On offense, they rank 88th in the FBS by accumulating 141.3 rushing yards per game.
- Virginia Tech’s defense has been keeping opposing offenses in check on third down, allowing a 19.0% third-down conversion percentage (fifth-best). Offensively, it ranks 89th in the FBS with a 37.0% third-down rate.
- After forcing three turnovers (92nd in the FBS) and turning the ball over five times (74th in the FBS) this season, Virginia Tech has the 100th-ranked turnover margin of -2.
West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Betting Analysis
West Virginia Betting Insights
- West Virginia has covered the spread in a game two times this season (2-1-0).
- West Virginia has 1-1 ATS when playing as at least 2.5-point favorites.
- The Mountaineers have been the moneyline favorite only one other time so far this season, a game they lost.
- The Mountaineers have played as a moneyline favorite of -134 or shorter in only one game this season, which they lost.
- Every game involving West Virginia has hit the over so far this season.
Hokies Betting Insights
- Virginia Tech is 1-2-0 against the spread this year.
- The Hokies will play as the underdog for the first time this season.
- The Hokies have played as an underdog of +111 or more once this season and won that game.
- Virginia Tech games have yet to go over the total once this season.
West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||56.3||58.8||51.5|
|Implied Total AVG||39.0||43.5||30.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||0-1||0-1||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-1||0-0||0-1|
|Point Total AVG||46.7||45.8||48.5|
|Implied Total AVG||31.0||33.0||27.0|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||1-1||1-0||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||0-0||0-0||0-0|
Players to Watch
- Dante Stills has played three games, registering 2.5 sacks to go with 2.0 TFL and seven tackles for the Mountaineers.
- As part of the Mountaineers’ defense, Lee Kpogba has collected 16 tackles in three games.
- The Mountaineers’ defense has been aided by the play of Davis Mallinger, who has played three games and compiled four tackles, 2.0 TFL, and two sacks.
- With 1.0 sack to go along with 3.0 TFL and six tackles, Sean Martin has helped lead the Mountaineers’ defense over three games.
- As a playmaker on defense, the Hokies’ Dax Hollifield has amassed 22 tackles, 1.0 TFL, and one sack in three games.
- C.J. McCray has compiled six tackles, 1.0 TFL, and two sacks in three games for the Hokies.
- Jaden Keller has 1.0 sack to go with eight tackles in three games.
- With five tackles, 2.0 TFL, and two sacks in three games, Cole Nelson has been making a big difference on defense for the Hokies.
West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Predictions and Pick
West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech betting card
- Pick ATS:
How to Bet on West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech
You can bet on West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech at every legal online sportsbook. For more college football odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as college football prop odds, check out the latest college football lines as well as our guide to the best college football betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Not sure what a parlay is? Or even how to bet on college football? Check out our complete guide to sports betting.
Our prediction to win this matchup is West Virginia, and we expect that West Virginia will cover the spread (West Virginia -2.5). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 50 points.