The Mississippi State Bulldogs (4-6) will battle the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (3-7) at Davis Wade Stadium in Mississippi State, Mississippi.
Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss Odds
The spread for this matchup is set at 18 points, with oddsmakers listing Mississippi State as the favorites.
As for the moneyline, Mississippi State has -912 odds to pick up the win, while Southern Miss is listed at +583 to claim victory.
Finally, the total for the game is set at 47.5 points.
How to Watch Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss Live?
- Game Day: Saturday, November 18, 2023
- Game Time: 12:00 PM ET
- TV Channel: SEC
- Location: Mississippi State, Mississippi
- Stadium: Davis Wade Stadium
Offensively, Mississippi State ranks 106th in the FBS with 325.9 yards per game. Meanwhile, its defense ranks 54th in total defense (366.7 yards allowed per contest). Mississippi State is putting up 21.4 points per game offensively this year (108th in the FBS), and is surrendering 28.2 points per game (88th) on the defensive side of the ball. Mississippi State ranks 25th-worst in passing offense (183.1 passing yards per game), but thas played slightly better on defense, ranking 58th with 221.9 passing yards allowed per contest. From an offensive standpoint, Mississippi State ranks 86th in the FBS with 142.8 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile, the defensive unit ranks 57th in rushing yards allowed per contest (144.8). Mississippi State has been a bottom-25 offense on third down this season, ranking 10th-worst with a 30.7% third-down conversion rate. On the defensive side of the ball, the Bulldogs rank 49th in the FBS (36.5% third-down conversion rate allowed). With nine forced turnovers (91st in the FBS) against 12 turnovers committed (81st in the FBS), Mississippi State’s -3-3 turnover margin ranks 93rd in college football.
Southern Miss ranks 79th in total yards per game (372.3), but it has been less productive on the defensive side of the ball, ranking 19th-worst in the FBS with 425.5 total yards allowed per contest. Southern Miss ranks 87th in points per game (24.1), but it has been less effective on the other side of the ball, ranking ninth-worst in the FBS with 35.3 points ceded per contest. From an offensive perspective, Southern Miss is accumulating 201.5 passing yards per contest (95th-ranked). It ranks 103rd in the FBS on the other side of the ball (244.1 passing yards given up per game). Southern Miss has been struggling to stop the run, ranking 18th-worst with 181.4 rushing yards allowed per game. It has been better offensively, generating 170.8 rushing yards per contest (53rd-ranked). With a 39.5% third-down conversion percentage on offense, Southern Miss ranks 65th in the FBS. Defensively, it ranks 65th, giving up a 38.5% third-down rate. Southern Miss owns a +3 turnover margin this season, which ranks 35th in the FBS.
Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss Betting Analysis
Mississippi State Betting Insights
Mississippi State has gone 2-8-0 against the spread this season. Mississippi State has an ATS record of 1-1 when playing as at least 18-point favorites. This season, five Mississippi State games have gone over the point total. The Bulldogs have won all three of the games they have been favored on the moneyline this season. The Bulldogs have played as a moneyline favorite of -912 or shorter in just two games this season, and they won both.
Southern Miss Betting Insights
Southern Miss has covered the spread in a matchup four times this year (4-6-0). Southern Miss is winless against the spread when it is 18-point underdogs or more (0-2). Southern Miss games have gone over the total seven times this season. This season, the Golden Eagles have won one out of the six games in which they’ve been the underdog. The Golden Eagles have not won as an underdog of +583 or more on the moneyline this season in two such games.
Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss Against The Spread & Betting Records
|Point Total AVG||49.3||53.2||43.5|
|Implied Total AVG||31.2||34.5||26.3|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||3-0||3-0||0-0|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-6||0-3||1-3|
|Point Total AVG||52.6||53.3||51.8|
|Implied Total AVG||32.7||31.2||34.2|
|Moneyline Favorite Record||2-2||2-1||0-1|
|Moneyline Underdog Record||1-5||0-2||1-3|
Players to Watch
- The Bulldogs’ offense has been carried by Jo’quavious Marks, who has run for 500 yards (71.4 yards per carry) and four rushing touchdowns.
- In addition to the stats he’s generated on the ground, Marks has 18 receptions (on zero targets) for 138 yards and one touchdown.
- In 10 games in 2023, Lideatrick Griffin has been targeted zero times for 41 receptions, 588 yards and three touchdowns.
- Will Rogers has been an important part of the Bulldogs’ offense this year, compiling 1,275 passing yards with 10 passing touchdowns, four interceptions and a 61.4% completion percentage.
- Mike Wright has delivered 453 passing yards, three touchdowns, three interceptions and a 56.5% completion percentage in 10 games in 2023.
- Wright has run for 297 yards (29.7 yards per game) and three touchdowns in 10 games.
- With five sacks to go with five TFL, 82 tackles, and two interceptions in 10 games, Jett Johnson has been a significant piece of the Bulldogs’ defense in 2023.
- Nathaniel Watson has helped carry the Bulldogs’ defense with seven sacks to go along with three TFL, 78 tackles, and one interception in 10 games.
- As part of the Bulldogs’ defense, Decamerion Richardson has collected 55 tackles, one sack, and two passes defended in 10 games.
- With three TFL, 35 tackles, and three interceptions, Shawn Preston Jr. has helped carry the Bulldogs’ defense over 10 games.
- On the ground, Frank Gore Jr. has nine touchdowns and 970 yards (97.0 per game).
- In the passing game, Gore Jr. has scored two touchdowns, with 17 receptions for 133 yards.
- In 10 games, Billy Wiles has thrown for 1,845 yards (184.5 per game), with 10 touchdowns and six interceptions, and a completion percentage of 53.2%.
- Jakarius Caston has 30 receptions for 518 yards (57.6 per game) and five touchdowns in nine games.
- In nine games, Latreal Jones has 34 catches for 480 yards (53.3 per game) and three touchdowns.
- In 10 games for the Golden Eagles, Dylan Lawrence has delivered one sack to go with 60 tackles.
- The Golden Eagles’ Jay Stanley has registered 43 tackles and three interceptions in nine games.
- Jalil Clemons has five sacks to go with four TFL and 24 tackles in six games.
- Hayes Maples has recorded one interception to go with 33 tackles and one pass defended In 10 games for the Golden Eagles.
Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss Predictions and Pick
Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss betting card
- Pick ATS:
Southern Miss (+18)
- Pick OU: Over (47.5)
How to Bet on Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss
You can bet on Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss at every legal online sportsbook. For more college football odds, including moneylines, spreads, over/under totals as well as college football prop odds, check out the latest college football lines as well as our guide to the best college football betting sites.
And if you wanted to check out how much you could win on a $10 bet if you parlayed today’s Mississippi State vs. Southern Miss picks, don’t forget to check out our free parlay calculator.
Our prediction to win this game is Mississippi State, and we expect that Southern Miss will cover the spread (Mississippi State -18). Finally, we see the scoring in this one going over the posted total of 47.5 points.